Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Windows Seven Downgrade.
So I have W7 on my laptop. Now I want to downgrade to XP but it doesn't let me, I don't get a Boot from CD/DVD option anymore, but when I insert a Vista/W7 DVD I do get the boot option but whenever I try it with the XP disc my laptop just boots normally, it does act like its searching for a bootable disc but then it just goes to W7. Did MS block downgrading to XP ?

Thoughts ?
It would be a problem with your Disc, I'm assuming. Microsoft wouldn't block downgrading, ;)
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
Quote: It would be a problem with your Disc, I'm assuming. Microsoft wouldn't block downgrading, ;)

I agree. However, just to be sure, did you go into your BIOS and change the boot order?
Are you sure the disc was made from a bootable image?
Yes, I use imgburn and of course the first boot order is DVD/CD.

I am thinking the CD isn't burnt correctly.

It says "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

I tried it with CD's and DVD's on 3 computers. So it must be the disc, strange that all other OS's work but XP doesnt
i tried that and i got a BsoD with a stop error
Do you have a usb? Try making that bootable with an XP image
I have no clue why you can't downgrade. I'm not an expert but did you trying booting into Safe Mode?
(02-24-2010, 04:55 PM)DannysForum Wrote: I have no clue why you can't downgrade. I'm not an expert but did you trying booting into Safe Mode?

Not sure how that would help.

Not sure what kind of computer you have, but on mine, pressing "esc" brings up the boot options list. Google your laptop type, and figure out what it is.
Try a linux install first to see if you can clean the boot up. Might be best to run a dual boot with linux/XP anyways.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.