Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Remove IE 8 from Windows 7 Completely
Enough is enough. If you think that you don't want to rely on Internet explorer anymore (after seeing till the very end from IE 5 to IE 8 ) you can switch to Firefox or Google Chrome. Not a big deal is it? But nagging and incorrigible that Windows is, it won't let you remove or uninstall something that you are not using just because its made by them. You have paid for the product and now you can not get rid of it. How annoying is it? We had to compromise in Windows XP and Windows Vista. But not anymore. In Windows 7 build 7048, thankfully there is a feature by which you can remove IE 8.

[Image: features.png]

Enter the Control Panel and lfindt All Control Panel Options
Click Programs and Features
In the left sidebar, click Turn Windows Features On or Off (you will be thrown a UAC prompt if you elevated UAC)
Look for Internet Explorer 8 in the list and uncheck it.
Click OK. You will see a prompt notifying you of a reboot.
The machine will reboot once, configure things, and reboot again.
Enjoy!Big Grin
Thanks for the TUT man Big Grin
Or you could just go to uninstall programs and select internet explorer... IE 8 is a major pain
Add me on MSN: Eminent14@hotmail.com. I would love to get to know you.
(08-30-2010, 01:51 PM)Acid_Fall Wrote: Or you could just go to uninstall programs and select internet explorer... IE 8 is a major pain

Actually you cant, IE8 is an embeded pre-installed program that is loaded into the windows OS itself. You CAN NOT use the uninstall program to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
[Image: tyler-allen.png]
I believe this is the same for windows media player. why do you want to uninstall it though, why not just use firefox or google chrome or something else? firefox is good in my opinion because of the addons I have for it like FireFTP
(09-25-2010, 10:20 AM)Infinity Wrote: I believe this is the same for windows media player. why do you want to uninstall it though, why not just use firefox or google chrome or something else? firefox is good in my opinion because of the addons I have for it like FireFTP

IE9 is amazing, I will make a post about it here soon. So much better then IE8, but why should you uninstall a dfualt program?
Well I posted this way... before IE9 came out and well...we all know how we felt towards the IE series xD and hope to see it soon Big Grin
(09-25-2010, 10:33 PM)AXVIS Wrote: Well I posted this way...berfore IE9 came out and well...we all know how we felt towards the IE series xD and hope to see it soon Big Grin

Well IE9 is kick ass and I am using it as my defualt browser now. There are a few issues with ajax and there are a few features missing that I would like, but overall it is a major improvement.
Finally, I've been trying to install this piece of crap for awhile...
Thanks man, really helpful.
Fist thing I did when installed Windows 7 was install Chrome and un-install IE8.
Great tutorial for users who do not know how to do this.
[Image: s1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Make Your Windows7 Completely Look Like Mac OS zerdnem 90 29,990 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Alreiger
  [Tutorial] How to Remove Shortcut Arrow (Win7) Metapod 16 5,338 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ₠o™
  Program to Remove Default Programs Chief 4 988 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  How to remove HID compliant on Win 7 BO0GEYMAN 0 775 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Last Post: BO0GEYMAN