Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introduction to Java
Great guide. Thanks for this Smile
[Image: Scarface.jpg]
I don't think java is very good for learning how to program and this tutorial shows why. You are basically learning from two streams of information at once. You have to not only learn programming constructs like loops and variables, but since java is so strictly object-oriented, you also have to learn object-oriented programming.

This tutorial is good for the basic constructs, but almost anything object-oriented is glossed over. Reading this, I have no idea what a class is, what an object is, their relation and so on. I'm not saying this a bad tutorial, this post is more of a comment in general.

Also, I don't think a do while loop is useless. I don't get what you mean when you say you don't believe in forcing the user into a loop. You are the programmer, you can very well do as you please. In terms of its usefulness, I agree I have only used it rarely, but I don't think you should skip it since its a common element across languages. I have used it a couple times, most recently to initialize things before looping through a ResultSet so I wouldn't say its completely without use.
this is great! thanks!
Great tutorial, Psycho. Very easily understood, and well written. I'm learning Java at the moment, and this helped quite a bit. Thanks! Big Grin
(10-11-2009, 10:33 AM)blackhat Wrote: I don't think java is very good for learning how to program and this tutorial shows why. You are basically learning from two streams of information at once. You have to not only learn programming constructs like loops and variables, but since java is so strictly object-oriented, you also have to learn object-oriented programming.

This tutorial is good for the basic constructs, but almost anything object-oriented is glossed over. Reading this, I have no idea what a class is, what an object is, their relation and so on. I'm not saying this a bad tutorial, this post is more of a comment in general.

Also, I don't think a do while loop is useless. I don't get what you mean when you say you don't believe in forcing the user into a loop. You are the programmer, you can very well do as you please. In terms of its usefulness, I agree I have only used it rarely, but I don't think you should skip it since its a common element across languages. I have used it a couple times, most recently to initialize things before looping through a ResultSet so I wouldn't say its completely without use.

There are a few reasons I simply discarded the do..while loop from the tutorial.
One of these reasons is because I see lots of newbies using do..while's and while's in all the wrong places.
The other reason is because any do..while loop can be implemented with an ordinary while loop.
I agree that they can be useful, because it's not convenient to resort to a while loop to emulate a do..while.
When you're a more advanced programmer, I'm almost positive you will have generated your own opinions on do..whiles.
I just don't want to confuse absolute beginners with whiles and do..whiles... since they get mixed up.

About the class bit; I explain classes in my second tutorial. It's not always necessary to explain every detail before using it.
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat
Thank you very much its a great tutorial !!! nice work
Did you made it all by urself ?
I read through it. Looks good. Bookmarked for When I start java.
(10-18-2009, 03:34 AM)Psycho Wrote: There are a few reasons I simply discarded the do..while loop from the tutorial.
One of these reasons is because I see lots of newbies using do..while's and while's in all the wrong places.
The other reason is because any do..while loop can be implemented with an ordinary while loop.
I agree that they can be useful, because it's not convenient to resort to a while loop to emulate a do..while.
When you're a more advanced programmer, I'm almost positive you will have generated your own opinions on do..whiles.
I just don't want to confuse absolute beginners with whiles and do..whiles... since they get mixed up.

About the class bit; I explain classes in my second tutorial. It's not always necessary to explain every detail before using it.

Absolutely its not necessary, but that was the point I was trying to make. Its hard to teach (and learn) both at once.
(10-19-2009, 08:59 AM)[V]VenDetta Wrote: Thank you very much its a great tutorial !!! nice work
Did you made it all by urself ?

Yes, I typed it up last semester.
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat
great tutorial helped me alot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why java haphazard 8 1,566 12-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Last Post: RDCA
  Need Java help from java expert. Blazin 2 1,973 09-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Introduction to Java 2 Psycho 13 3,430 06-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Livewire
  Java help php 1 882 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Last Post: php
  Java Problem for real java programmer Testgamma1 10 4,744 03-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Last Post: uber1337