Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
text being converted to HTML on upload
I'm using FireFox 2 and DownThemAll 0.9.9.7, and have had no trouble until recently. I use Moodle for a classroom management system, where students upload assignments. My students upload .txt and .java files, but now all of a sudden, when I download those files, either with DownThemAll, or by right-clicking, html tags are being added to the .txt and .java files, and an .html extension is being added. The extension is not a problem, but it is actually changing the content of the file. I'm not having the problem if I download the file with Internet Explorer, so I know the files are being uploaded correctly.

Any ideas?

TIA,
bmanSC
Last thing I knew, DownThemAll wasn't really compatible with FireFox 2.0. I had to disable mine in order to get other things working (this was a while back though, may have been fixed now).
If it is working fine with IE then the files can't be wrong, try disable DownThemAll, Restart FireFox and try again. Smile
so far, this version seems to be working well with FF2.0. I have tried FF in Safe Mode as well, disabling all extensions/add ons. The problem seems to be that either FF is registering the 2 files types as HTM files, or converting them first, then registering them as HTM files. When I click a file I want to download, the Opening dialog comes up, and says: " You have chosen to open testFile.txt which is a: HTM file from: ... "

Very strange behavior. I have confirmed that with WinXP, both files types are registered as txt to open with notepad. But it seems that FF is reading them as HTM - with the question being is FF reading them as HTM and THEN adding the tags, or vice versa.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Ahh right, I understand now. I've had similar problems myself.
What file extension does it have? (Example: .doc, .mp3)

To change how FireFox deals with different file extensions do the following...
Tools --> Options --> Content --> File Types (Manage) Then find the file type that is giving you problems and tell FireFox what to use to open it. Smile

I hope I've got this right.
Good instructions! Smile I hope that fixes the problem but I think what he's saying is that Firefox is changing the file extensions.. correct me if I'm wrong tho! Smile
~ FFW
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried changing the File Types, but nothing is listed other than stuff for Windows Media Player and Adobe. The specific file types are .txt and .java - they have the correct extension, its just that when FF downloads them, it adds to the content of the files html tags, such as pre, p, etc, then tacks on an .html extension. So my files come down as:
fileName.txt.html with the contents changed. I have confirmed that the tags being added and extensions being added are happening at download. I have the same version of FF at work(school) and the same problem exists.

thanks again for any help. Its making grading all these assignments VERY time consuming as I can no longer run the files. I teach Computer Science and Computer Programming, and they upload just the .java files, and occasionally a text file.
Ok, so if that didn't work, you could try to create a new profile and see if it happens on the NEW profile, and if so I guess something would be wrong with your Firefox, instead of just that profile. Hmmmmm..
~ FFW