Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About to start learning C++
So yea, im finally entering into the coding field, I should be up and running, and making programs within a month or so, anything yall would like to see program wise?
Ok so its talking about linking, but I dont have anything to link with do I?
Linking is the step where the separate compilation units are joined together, in the case of using external libraries, this is also where the library code is linked into your application code.

You can get a variety of linker errors, the most common ones I would expect you to see would be an 'unresolved external symbol' where you have declared something but not defined it, or a 'multiply defined symbol' error where you have managed to put something in a header file such that it is duplicated into multiple compilation units instead of being referenced by multiple compilation units.

tl;dr Learn what the C++ compiling process involves (pre-processing, compilation, linking)

Also, this should really be in the C++ programming forum. Can a mod move it?
[Image: sig.php]
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
ok, but how do I actually "do" the linking? do I need a tool or something?
It's a step your compiler does, what IDE/compiler are you using?
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
umm...do I have one? o.o
... you have to have something. What have you been using to try and make your C++ apps so far?
umm...nothign? 8O am I supposed to? x.x
(05-22-2010, 12:27 PM)Fallenour Wrote: umm...nothign? 8O am I supposed to? x.x

"In order to make usable programs in C or C++, you will need a compiler. A compiler converts source code - the actual instructions typed by the programmer - into an executable file. Numerous compilers are available for C and C++. Listed on the sidebar are several pages with information on specific compilers. For beginners, Code::Blocks is our recommended free and easy-to-use compiler. "
http://www.cprogramming.com/begin.html

The computer doesn't speak English, you know.
I recommend Visual C++ Express if you are using Windows.

Also, LOL.
I'd also recommend code::blocks, i've been using it for about a week now and its pretty good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning music lRL Kewlz 9 1,212 12-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Dr.Cooper
  Education Systems: We’re being conditioned against learning Peter L 7 1,462 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  We are being conditioned against learning. Peter L 13 1,918 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Peter L