Support Forums

Full Version: Upgrade Firefox (Linux Users)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know I've posted about this before, somewhere, but I couldn't find it off hand so I'm posting this as a tip or tutorial for easy reference.

For Linux Users, especially Ubuntu users (I don't know about other Linux distros. though), when you install the OS, you will most likely have an old version of Firefox.
And, when you go to: Help -> Check For Updates isn't lit up to check for updates.

Well, if you want to install the newer version of Firefox, download this script:
http://firefox.myoklahomalife.net/downlo...view&did=7 (located in the downloads center)

Save it to your desktop, or wherever, and open the terminal.
Cd to Desktop
"cd desktop"

And then run it:
$ ./installnewfirefox.sh

(Notice: You must have an internet connection for this to work, otherwise, it won't load.)

Finish the setup, and your default Firefox will be upgraded, keeping all your bookmarks, extensions, scripts, ect.

Any Questions, or comments, please leave a reply.

Dr Small
I just use my distro's latest RPM build, it keeps settings, and is quicker and simpler than building my own latest firefox from source and then copying the settings to all the right folders.
With the script I supplied, it doesn't build another firefox, it just downloads an upgrade and overwrites everything.
I am not upgrading the firefox continuously cause of Some of my addons not working in newer version. It takes some time for supporting the new version. When My addons supports the new version then I am downloading the new version or upgrade the firefox.